VISA in Embassy of South Africa
|Visa & Embassy Information - South Africa Visa Requirements, South African Embassy|
|Who requires a visa?
- The holders of passports of the following Countries do not require visas to enter South Africa for visits of 90 days or less: |
- Australia, United Kingdom of Great Brita - Northern Ireland, British Islands of Bailiwick of Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Man, Virgin Islands, Republic of Ireland, British Overseas territories do not require visa.
Nationals of the following countries need a visa to enter South Africa:
- British Dependent Territories including Anquilla, Bermuda, British Antartic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, Cayman Island, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, Henderson, Cucie and Oeno Islands, Sovereign Base Area of Akrotiri and Dhekelia and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The passport holders of the following countries are not required to hold a visa in respect of purposes for which a visitor's permit may be issued for an intended stay of 90 days and when in transit:
- Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Portugal, San Merino, Singapore, Spain, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, Venezuela, United States of America
The nationals of the following countries do not need a visa for purposes for which a visitor's permit may be issued for an intended stay of 30 days or less and when in transit:
- Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Cape Verde, Costa Rica, Cyprus (Provided that a diplomatic and official passport holders are exempt for an up to 90 day stay), Gabon, Guyana, Hong Kong (Only with regard to holders of Hong Kong British Nationals Overseas passports and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passports), Hungary (Provided that diplomatic and official passport holders are exempt for an up to 120 day stay), Jordan, Lesotho, Macau (Only with regard to holders of Macau Special Administrative Region passports (MSAR), Malaysia, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Poland, Peru, Seychelles, Slovak Republic, South Korea, Swaziland, Thailand, Turkey, Zambia, Zimbabwe (Only in respect of government officials, including police on cross border investigation)
What documents will be required?
Study Permit Documentation
- A duly completed application form (BI-1738) signed by the applicant.
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days upon completion of study.
- Two passport photos.
- Copy of birth certificate.
- Roundtrip flight itinerary.
- Medical report (physical)
- Radiological report (chest xray) or skin TB test
- Medical insurance to cover applicant during stay in South Africa
- A repatriation cash deposit of $800.00 in case of all applicants studying in South Africa for one year or more
- An official letter from the institution confirming provisional acceptance and duration of the course.
- An official letter of provisional enrolment from the institution of learning concerned in the United States.
- Proof of financial means in the form of bank statement or notarized letter from the parents stating the financial responsibility.
- State police clearance certificate (criminal background check) in respect all applicants 18 years of age or older, in respect of all previous countries of residence for period exceeding one year.
- A vaccination certificate if an applicant is passing through yellow fever belt area before entering or during stay in South Africa.
- In case of a minor, a notarized letter of consent from the parents.
- Proof of US status, in case of applicants who are not US citizens e.g. I-20 for F1 visa holders, greencard etc.
Visitor's Permit Documentation
1. Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of the intended visit.
2. Passports must contain at least 1 (one) unused page for entry/departure endorsements (sometimes referred to as visa page).
3. Payment of the prescribed fee, if applicable.
4. A vaccination certificate, if required by the Act.
5. Statement and/or documentation confirming purpose and duration of visit.
6. Two (2) identity photographs.
7. Proof of financial means in the form of:
- bank statements;
- salary advices;
- undertaking(s) by the host(s) in the Republic;
- medical cover;
- or cash available, including credit cards or travellers' cheques to cover the living expenses during the sojourn in the Republic.
8. Applicants traveling by air must be in possession of:
- a return or onward ticket; or
- proof of sufficient funds; or
- lodge a cash deposit of equivalent value to such a ticket.
Note: You do not have to submit your application for a visa in person.
Time required to issue visa:
The normal processing period is 10 days.
What is the cost of a visa?
Nationals of certain countries are subject to visa fees. Fees are charged per application and are not refundable if the application be refused. Fees must be paid in postal money order or certified bank check payable to SACG (if application was submitted to any of the three Consulates General in the USA) or South African Embassy (if application was submitted to the South African Embassy in Washington, DC). The postal money order or certified bank check must be made out with the exact amount as no refunds will be made. Cash and personal check payments are not accepted.
Fees applicable only in the United States
- Visas $72.00
- Study Permit $72.00
- Business Permit $255.00
- Work Permit $255.00
- Corporate Permit $255.00
- Exchange Permit $72.00
- Diplomatic Permit Free
- Permanent Residence $255
- Application for extension of period of absence from the Republic exceeding three years $7.00
- Application for Permission to a Permanent Residence in respect of persons having permanent offer of employment and investors. $112.00
- Persons applying for permanent residence on the grounds of having minimum net worth. $100 000
- Retired person’s permit $72.00
- Treaty Permit. $72.00
How long is the visa valid for?
Study permits are valid for the duration of the program of study.
Visitor's permits are issued on entry in South Africa and are for visits of three (3) months.
If your visit would exceed 90 days and you want to travel to South Africa to work, you will need to apply for a work permit instead of a visitors visa. Requirements for a work permit are not the same as a visitor (tourist) visa.
This is a kind of a permit issued to foreigners intending to take up studies in South Africa. Applications for study permits can be lodged at the mission or at the office of the registrar of the institution authorized by the Department of Home Affairs to accept such applications.
How to Apply for a South African Study Permit
International students should apply for a Study Permit at the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in their country of origin.
If there is no South African representative, prospective students must apply to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission nearest to their home country. It is imperative that students await the outcome of this application for a study permit in their own country of residence or origin.
Study permits are issued for a program of study at a specific institution. International students should obtain a new permit only if they wish to change institutions.
Once you have confirmed your acceptance of the formal offer from the university or technikon, you can make your application for a study visa. You should contact the South African Consulate for full details about applying for a study permit.
Prospective international students are advised to submit their study permit documentation as soon as possible. It normally takes six to eight weeks for applications to be processed. The institution (technikon or university) in South Africa cannot register a student until a valid study permit has been produced. Passports with the valid study permit must be presented to the host institution during registration.
Processing Time: 10 business days
Processing Fee: US$72.00 money order or certified bank check only
Mailing Fee: US$16.00 FedEx overnight
Walk-in Applicants: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday
Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest South African embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter South Africa.
Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.
Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- South African Missions in New York - URL: www.southafrica-newyork.net
- South African Department of Home Affairs - URL: www.home-affairs.gov.za
The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.
South Africa SouthAfrica 2022
Held to ransom: SA risks being branded a 'kidnapping country' News24
About 500 refugees are still living in wretched conditions in Cape Town camp News24
'The perfect storm': Why transnational crime syndicates see SA as a 'haven' News24
Supreme Court of Appeal reverses controversial ivermectin ruling News24